Crispy, Crunchy, Mouth-Watering Cauliflower Tacos + Cashew Nacho Cheeze
I think it is safe to say that an all time favorite in our house are these crispy, crunchy, mouth-watering cauliflower tacos. They take on such an amazing crunch while roasting in the oven and the versatility of the cauliflower provides the ultimate customization for your favorite spices and flavors. I've used this same base recipe several times and with a few tweaks on the seasonings you have a completely different meal. So.. if you are feeling frisky, go with some Curry flavors or even break out the show-stopping buffalo sauce for an ultimate treat. As for the cashew cream/cheeze, the same versatility can be modified to fit your palette. For this rendition we are going with our classic nacho cashew cheeze . Which, in our opinion has the potential to end the war and all violence. Just sayin'
Without further a do, meet the Crispy, Crunchy, Mouth-Watering Cauliflower Tacos + Cashew Cream/Nacho Cheeze.
Crispy Cauliflower Tacos with Cashew Nacho Cheeze + quick slaw
adapted from Blissful Basil
For the Crispy Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into bite-size florets
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond mylk or water if you don't have almond mylk on hand.
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour, can sub other flours you have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Cashew Nacho Cheeze
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours, preferably overnight, drained and rinsed
- 2 scallion/green onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup clean water, add more as needed for consistency
- sea salt and ground black pepper
Quick Cabbage Slaw - Not required but adds a nice crunch and acidity.
- 2 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- corn tortillas
- avocado slices
- lime wedges
- hot sauce or salsa
- fresh cilantro
To Make the Crispy Cauliflower:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the rolled oats to a food processor. Pulse until a coarse meal forms. You don't want the oats to be a fine flour, but rather a texture similar to panko bread crumbs. Transfer the oats to a large bowl. Add in the cilantro, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. Gently mix to incorporate spices.
- Add the almond milk (water), brown rice flour, and lime juice to a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Place about a handful of cauliflower florets into the almond milk batter, toss to coat, shake off excess batter, and transfer to the oat and spice mixture. Toss the pieces until coated and transfer to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remainder of the cauliflower.
- Bake the cauliflower for 25-30 minutes or until crispy and golden, tossing halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
To make the Cashew Nacho Cheeze
- Add all ingredients into a high speed blender such as a Vitamix. Pulse until desired consistency is obtained adding more water if needed. Taste for Salt and Pepper. If you want it more spicy you can add a fresh Jalapeno.
To Make the Cabbage Slaw
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, make the cabbage slaw by adding the purple cabbage, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and salt to a small bowl. Toss to coat and let rest, stirring occasionally.
Assembly: Lightly toast your corn tortillas on the open flame or in the oven so they are pliable. Add a few pieces of cauliflower and top with slaw and cashew Nacho Cheeze + additional desired toppings such as lime juice, cilantro, avocado and hot sauce. Enjoy!
in health and happiness,