Baked Vegan Penne Alla Vodka
Winter is here… Which for us means endless snuggles, hot tea and mushroom cocoas, fires, wintery essential oils and loads of Zurafied healthy comfort foods. It seems Italian is the preferred cuisine in our house currently and no one is even the slightest bit upset about it. Up until recently, Italian food wasn’t a common occurrence in the kitchen. However, our trip to Italia has me inspired to perfect the pizza and some yummy pasta dishes. So here is our first attempt at a baked Penne Alla Vodka.
It was a culinary win for me and I think next time I will really Veg-ify (yes, I just created this word) this dish out by adding some chopped zucchini, squash, or eggplant. YUM.
BAKED PENNE ALLA VODKA
• 2 tablespoons of ghee, grass fed
• 1 cup red onion diced
• 1 shallot, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ cup vodka (omit if you wish)
• 2 28oz cans of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes
• 2 tsp fennel seeds
• 2 tablespoons of Nooch, aka Nutritional Yeast
• 3 cups Lacinto kale, roughly chopped
• 1 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped, stems removed
• 1 lb large penne pasta
• 1 cup clean water
• 1 Miyokos brand vegan mozzarella ball, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. In a large pot over medium heat ghee until melted. Add the onion, shallot and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes’ onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
3. Add the vodka and the tomatoes, crushing them by hand as you put them in the pot. Simmer for 10-15 minutes to burn off the alcohol and cook down the tomatoes.
4. Add the salt, pepper flakes, nutritional yeast and coconut cream. Simmer another 5 minutes until nice and creamy.
5. Add the chopped kale, ½ cup parsley and dried penne to the pot and toss to coat.
6. Transfer pasta mixture to a lined baking dish and add the cup of water to the pasta mixture and press as much dry pasta down into the liquid as possible. Cover and place in the preheated oven. (If you’re a boss and your pot is capable of going in the oven, then just add the cup of water over the top, press as much dry pasta down into the liquid as possible, cover with a lid and place in the preheated oven.)
7. Bake pasta dish covered for 40-45 minutes. Remove dish from the oven, take off the lid and place the sliced vegan mozzarella onto the baked pasta. Place uncovered back in the oven for 10-15 minutes longer until the mozzarella is bubbly and browned in spots. Sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley, nutritional yeast, lemon slices and a few red chili flakes.
Alright loves, as always, I am here for any questions or assistance. I hope you enjoy it and your support by shopping the post is greatly appreciated.